National Strategy and Action Plan
Environmental Economic Accounting: A common national approach – Strategy and Action Plan
In April 2018 the Australian Government and all states and territory governments agreed on a National Strategy and Action Plan to implement EEA across Australia.
The Strategy and Action Plan builds on the efforts of the Australian Bureau of Statistics, and state and territory governments to deliver a nationally-consistent approach to Environmental-Economic Accounting.
Vision: “the Australian community understands the environment’s contribution to our quality of life, and its condition and value are accounted for in decision making for a prosperous and healthy society”
To achieve this vision, Commonwealth, state and territory governments have committed to:
- fostering consistent application of the United Nations System of Environmental-Economic Accounting throughout Australia; and
- producing a core set of national environmental economic accounts to inform decision-making in government, community and business.
The national approach to Environmental-Economic Accounting will overtime:
- provide a more complete picture of the environment’s contribution to economic and human activity and the impact that our economy has on the environment;
- reach a broader audience and increase our ability to deliver stronger environmental and socio‑economic outcomes;
- capture information at the industry, local and regional level enabling reporting and analysis at different spatial scales and comparisons across state and territory boundaries;
- identify gaps in existing environmental information where investments by both public and private sectors are required;
- more readily develop time series and conduct scenario modelling and analysis to inform forward-looking decisions; and
- ensure consistency across state and territory governments, minimising duplication of effort.
The implementation of the National Environmental Economic Accounting (EEA) Strategy and Action Plan will see a set of integrated accounts developed, providing a trusted and reliable source of information for different decision-makers working at different scales.