Ocean waste accounting pilot for Samoa
This ocean waste accounting pilot project was completed in 2021 in partnership between the:
- Samoan Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment
- Australian Government
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific.
The pilot examined pollution caused by land-based tourism and estimated leakage of plastic and non-plastic waste to the ocean.
This pilot aims to:
- inform waste management decisions
- improve how we use ocean accounts for national ocean policy and governance
- trial draft Technical Guidance for oceans accounts.
For information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The pilot will build on 2 previous Samoan pilot accounts. These explored:
- the sustainable development of the tourism industry, including the economic contribution of tourism and resource use by tourists (water and electricity initially)
- solid waste generation in Upolu.